There is some new underwear that has the Fourth Amendment of the United States of America printed on it in metallic ink so that the new airport body scanners that the TSA is employing to help with security will see it.
This is all to protest the “invasion of privacy” that these scanners apparently cause to one’s person. Frankly, this underwear is absolutely ridiculous. I get that people like to keep certain things private and that they don’t like to be subjected to security at anywhere, let alone the airport where connections are tight, but there’s good reason for it.
Provoking the very people who have already spent their entire work day dealing with people just like you who feel indignant and put upon with all the security measures, especially good, honest people who just want to get from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, is probably not the best route to go.
While, like in any position of power, there is the odd person there who wants nothing more than to impose upon you to show that power off a little for their own ends, the majority of TSA employees at the airports are there to simply do their jobs as best as they can with minimal intrusion.
They merely want to keep you safe from the terrible things that can happen to you – even if you’ve forgotten about all the plane hijackings in the last 50 years, you more than likely have not forgotten what happened on September 11th, 2001. Unfortunately, those events caused a cascade of reactions that ended in much tighter airport security.
If you’d ever flown prior to that day, you’re likely aware of how relatively smooth and easy it was to get through security and even cross borders. Hell, I crossed from my home country of Canada into the United States about 4 years prior to that with nothing but my birth certificate and a photo ID, albeit issued by an obscure government agency that was made less than 24 hours earlier due to a stolen wallet.
I had to answer more than the usual amount of questions crossing the border, but I was able to cross anyway. Now, I was grateful for this because the tickets to Florida were non-refundable and unchangeable and there was no way that my regular provincial issued ID was going to be replaceable in time for my flight, but in light of events in recent history I’m equally thankful for added security measures at the border.
Yeah, it’s a pain and I can hardly stand it, but it’s there for a very good reason and my safety is of the highest importance for me.
If you know the first thing about these scanners, you’ll understand that they are body x-ray machines that see nothing but an outline and your bones if you’re not carrying anything on you that’s picked up by an x-ray – i.e., metal. I, for one, would rather the TSA see on a screen if I’ve got any piercings in intimate places on my body or if I’ve got pins in my bones or in some other sort of metal body replacement without having to be subjected to a far more intrusive search while revealing my body to total strangers.
I don’t know about you, but I certainly find an x-ray of my body much less intrusive and irritating than having to strip down for people I don’t care to be nude in front of.
If you choose to do something so silly as to wear provocative underwear in an attempt to make some sort of statement but will do nothing more than irritate a person who’s trying to keep you and everyone else in the airport safe from jackasses who have nothing better to do than cause loss of life and trauma for the sake of whatever inane cause they’ve been indoctrinated to possibly die for, then you are merely making things worse than better.
I’d rather be wearing something sexy and lacy and have the TSA see the underwire in the bra than wear underwear that’s not very attractive and will do nothing but irritate the people there to help protect me.

No comments:
Post a Comment